20 September 2006

Back-issue Issue

So I just read a post on my friend's blog, which I missed the first time around. Here is a line that really grabbed me:

"It was good (for the most part), but Jane and Jim were unable to bridge the awkward gap of religious/non-religious people (try as they might) ..." [Names Changed, because I can]

Wow.

What gap? I didn't see a gap. Was I the one making it? I don't think so, but you can never be sure.

I talked with Jim, and whatever "gap" was there felt like hardly a crack in the sidewalk. Obviously we don't share the same views, but there was no rift, and it actually spawned a good conversation, I thought.

If we are being "Good Christians," would there even be a gap to speak of? Is the gap from not being in the world, or is it from not being of the world?

A lot of the time we make our own Christian subcluture. We listen to "Good" music. We "Court," not date. There's even a "Christian" version of Threadless out now. That is a gap, because then we can't relate to people.

I will go to Dooley's. I will be in the world.

I will drink pepsi. I will not be of the world.

Also, "Religious People ..." "Religious People" start holy wars, fly planes into buildings, tell Marlyn Mansen fans they're going to hell, and bomb abortion clynics. Deciples of Jesus Christ bridge gaps, and love enemies.

It's too bad that the only word we have for these deciples, that people will understand is "Religious." Because religion brings so much death. And that's not who I want to be.

And for the record, this is not a rebuttle, attack, or correction to the original poster. These are my own thoughts, sparked by your work.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's a good thing you put in that last sentence. :)

My comment had nothing to do with anyone, not you or my friends. It had nothing to do with the conversations taking place. And if I was honest, I would say it had nothing to do with Holly and Dave.

That comment was made for one reason and one reason only. When Jesus was being tortured, crucified and put on the cross, everyone else in my row (and for that matter, the whole audience) clapped and cheered for the songs being sung.

Robyn, Meagan and I kind of sat there in a stunned stupor. They were putting JESUS on the CROSS and people were CLAPPING?!

I just sort of had an ah-ha moment in that second at the theatre and knew that lines had been (whether I choose to acknowledge them or not) drawn, even if it was subtle.

Josh said...

Aah, I see, good point.

Still, I doubt ANYBODY would cheer for ANYONE being tortured, let alone Jesus. I just played it off as a "The actors are doing a good job, and the song is catchy." deal.

I clapped for like, three seconds too, but then realized exactly what I was doing.

I have to say, parts of that play made me sick. Jesus whining to God in the Garden, going to the cross mentally kicking and screaming. The apostles being potrayed as if it was all about the fame. Peter's denials being likened to Judas's betrayal. NO RESURECTION MUCH.

It was as if somebody went to sunday school once, ten years ago, took the story, boiled it down to the major plot points, and decided to build a new story on top.

If the music wasn't so catchy, I was wondering during the play whether or not it would be justly classified as Heresy.

And yeah, that last line was there because I was afraid you'd take the post out of context. It's easy to do that to stuff I say sometimes.