16 August 2006

Thoughts and a Count Down

So right now I'm in a bit of a sombre mood. Part of that could be the music I'm hearing right now, but we'll get to that in a bit.

I don't think it's completely hit me that I'm going away soon. As in, I'll no longer be near everything I've grown up. There'll be something alien about every day life, decreasing unfamiliarity as time goes on, but there will always be something different than home.

I passed my nostalga stage months ago, I thought. Before school even ended, I asked mom if I could take our old family placemats with me. They're an ugly brown and orange, but they're probably the most beautiful placemats I've ever seen. I remember many a meal being spilled on those matts. I remember Jacob falling off his stool more than once, and many fights between the two of us.

Down the street from where I live, there's a trail. It's a shortcut, so you don't have to walk around the road-way. Off of this trail are a dozen wooden structures. Flower-boxes, and an old swingset, with the chains rusted off at least a decade ago. The grass is always at least two feet tall, even right after winter, it seems.

Off a trail from that is another even more secluded "lost park." Broken see-saws, more rusted swings. The remains of an old sand-box.

I've never spent any time there, but I'll miss it.

Nostalga's a real pain, I tell you.

Now, to that song I was talking about. I found a Fan-Made music video for Firefly on YouTube the other day. It's really nice, and I love the song. It's pretty haunting. Here it is:



So that's about it, except for an excelent discovery. Gambit. It's an email version of Risk. I will have to start up a game with far away friends once I settle in for university. I also want to pick up a variant of Risk for the house too. Because it's just such an excelent and very fun game.

EDIT: A friend of mine just complained to me about how needlessly heavy Macs are (G5s). My response: "Might be heavy, but that's because it's just FILLED with POWER and INFINITE POTENTIAL!"

I love my MacBook Pro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that leaving a familiar place is a hard pill to swallow! I have had a few pre-tests for it this past summer for going away for weeks at a time (such as now!), and although it will be hard to move overseas that these few little "vacations" are helping me to deal with the change! Change is a wonderful thing, but it's also hard for a lot of people. As cliche as this verse is, I still love it: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.