08 August 2006

A Far Away Future

On Relevant Forums, I had a conversation with a fellow Canadian about University and the Future. She's doing Bio-Chemestry or something, after transferring out of Engineering, I belive. I'm not expecting to stay in Computer Science for too long, so we got to talking about where we may or may not go in the future.

This has made me think a bit. I'd love to do missionary work somewhere else. I love Newfoundland, but we're not exactly being opressed here. Then I remember a guy from our Corps who moved to Germany for some time to do ministry. I don't quite remember how the conversation about that went, but I seem to recall him saying he was really running away, by going to Germany.

I'm an advid supporter of the "We're no better off than Vietnam, here in Canada" school of thought. Well, that's not exactly what I mean. What I mean is that so many people have bleeding hearts for third-world countries (and well they should), but here in Canada, and The USA, and other developed countries, we have a certain moral decay. We need missionaries here too, in a way.

So I've been thinking. I'd love to go away, and work in some sort of ministry elsewhere, furthering the church, but why do I want that? Is it because it's exotic? Perhaps. Is that a good reason to go? Absolutely not.

At the same time, I just recalled a statement I found in the War Cry one day. It went something like this (Where X is a large number): "X number of countries have expressed the desire for the Salvation Army to move in and do good works. The only thing holding the Army back is a lack of people." I'm sure it was more eloquent, but you get it.

And in keeping with the theme, I'm going reccomend once again that everybody check out "THE-SLEEPING-GIANT-WILL-AWAKE," the blog of a Salvationist who smuggles Bibles (not FOR the Salvation Army), mostly into China, but lately into North Korea and Vietnam as well. There's a romanticism there as well, which has me interested in that path of life, but again: is this feeling a desire to spread God's word, or just a desire for adventure?

1 comment:

pete footer said...

In my case it was both. Being a christian should be fun and an adventure is fun. Besides the Chinese deserve these books.