12 August 2006

Risk!-ey

So last night, since I had nothing to do, I called up Scott, and Matt. We all went to Devin's to conquer the world.

Risk is such an awesome game, I have to say. I enjoy it thouroughly, despite Scott cheating all the time. He laid 10 extra armies at the beginning, rigged the deck of cards you get for conquering nations, and constantly swapped enemy armies for his own.

The beginning of the game saw everybody grabbing different continents. As soon as I saw I started with one Australian piece of land, I put all my extra armies there. Scott was too slow to essentially call first dibs on Australia, so he re-enforced his European nations. Devin placed his armies throughout Asia, and Matt distributed his throughout North and South America.

We used some rules I had never played by before. You had to hold a country for one full turn before you attacked from it, but you could attack an unlimited amout, from which-ever territory you had the turn before. Basically this slowed the game down a bit, because it meant that only ajacant countries were threats. Also, for movement, you could move any army into any ajacant country. I liked this alot better than what we used to play with "only one move per turn."

Within 2 turns, Matt had most of the Americas, despite the Alaska incident*. Scott had all of Europe, Devin had all of Asia, and I had all of Australia. Nobody bothered with Africa, untill I stationed a few armies to harass Scott and Devin. On my second turn, I took one country of Asia, and one of Europe (from Africa) just so Scott and Devin wouldn't collect their bonuses. In retaliation, Devin ammassed an army in China, and Scott wiped out my entire northern half of Africa.

Between Quebec and Greenalnd, there was a constant battle between Scott and Matt. Scott would place all of his armies in Greenland, attack untill he took Quebec, and then retreat. Matt would re-take Quebec, but couldn't retaliate farther, since he needed to hold the country a full turn to get any ways into Europe. Soon, Matt started massing armies in Alaska, to sweep through Devin's undefended Asian north.

I took a bit more of Southern Asia, while re-gaining my African loss. Eventually I attacked Devin, and weakened his hold on the rest of Asia. At that point, Matt came in from Alaska, and swept through most of Aisia. In the meantime he also attacked from Quebec, siezed Greenland, and started pushing Scott back.

Finally, Devin was reduced to 4 countries (despite an excelent conquering spree brought on by cashing in some cards for 10 extra armies), and Scott was reduced to 5. Only a few short turns later, the pink menace was crushed, as Devin's last two countries were decimated by a joint attack between Myself and Matt. Matt then had to leave, and since we were allies, decided to leave all of his resources to me.

Scott held the remaining 5 countries, untill I threw absolutely everything I had at him. I broke his hold, and conquered the world.

A note: since Scott and Devin will NEVER betray each-other in anything, Myself and Matt decided to play together untill they were taken out. It turned out that we ended the game after that.



A picture of the conquered world (the board's from 1959, and is not geographically accurate. Newfoundland is a blob, Europe has ED, and Asia was never that large. Also, the picture is mirrored, and I don't know how to fix it right now)

Good times. I hope I can get my hands on a Risk! board for next year. I love the game oh-so-much.

* The Alaska Incident: A situation where a single army (Scott's) was not conquered by twelve invading armies (Matt's). It happened several times throughout the game, first in Alaska, then The Middle East, India, and Egypt, all including a single army verses at least an opposing 5.

No comments: