22 August 2006

On My Computer and People

So I've spent a lot of time on my computer in the past few days. I'll excuse it as preparing everything for University, but it's most certainly not what I'm doing.

I'm going about the agonizing process of ripping some DVDs. I ran into an issue yesterday, where on a DVD with 5 episodes, I could only find and rip 2. This is unfortunate, though I suspect it's because of smudges on the DVD. So I'm trying to copy the DVD to the computer and then rip it. It's taking a while.

I've also been a bit pissed reading about Digital Rights Management. I'll be honest when I say I don't really know the law in Canada when it comes to such things, but I belive it's actually illegal to back up or rip CDs, DVDs. I'm not caring very much for the legality of it all, because I'm deeming it fair use. Would that argument hold up if I was challenged? No. Will I be challenged? No.

Copy protection, legal bull, and all that stuff really pisses me off. It's there to stop piracy, but the pirates will always find a way around it. Heck, if I wanted to get a copy protecte CD that won't rip to my computer, I'd set up a stereo system, get an "instant music" package, and re-record the music to my computer. It's a pain in the butt, but pirates will do it, and then put it on the web for free. And yet I, a person who isn't going to mess around with all that garbage, am punished with copy-protect crap that gets stuck on my computer, and un-rippable DVDs. Garbage.

Also, I've been thinking a bit about people lately. I've thought about particular people, and how they seem to be so bitter sometimes. Other people who belive the world owes them oh-so-much. Then I think of people who don't like me, and I wonder why not. I mean, it's not that I care what people think, but if it's a problem with several people, I'm probably being a jerk somehow.

University in 13 days. Be afraid.

No comments: