23 March 2007

On Hibernation, Martian Invasions, and the Inability to Bleed

You have no idea how much I love the title of this post. Or rather, that style of title. The sort of On Nationalism, Expansion, and the Great War or On Peoples, Cultures, and the Global Community. The random nature of the subject matter only makes it the more lovely.

I begin with the tale of my sleep last night. Normally sleep patterns are fairly simple, and not worth mentioning. However this Wednesday, it was different.

I arrived home at about five thirty. Supper time. I decided that I would forgo eating for the time being, however, and instead pursue a quick nap, since I was feeling quite tired. I set my alarm for about seven, and rolled over for some sleep.

Some time later, I awoke in a stupor. All I could hear was the sound of Full House coming through the wall to my right. "Meagan must be watching her DVDs" I thought, angrily. "Why is she watching those [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] DVDs at this [expletive deleted] late hour of the [expletive deleted] night?!"

It was only 11:30. I couldn't even remember going to sleep, so I just laid there for ten minutes, seething in anger and confusion. I figured it out, eventually, and got up immediately.

I trudged downstairs to finally get some supper (A salad consisting of lettuce, Chicken, cheese and Russian dressing). I got back to bed, fearing a night devoid of sleep, at 12:30. I then did not wake until 10:00 the next morning.

That's some Olympic level sleeping, let me tell you.

Next story. Segues are overrated.

I finished H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds today. I have to say, the book was a bit difficult to get into, but well worth the read. I'm not quite sure I understand the point of it all. It's funny how all through the book, the point was made that these Martians were an Evolutionary step beyond us. They could regard us like we regarded rabbits, or something. But the most basic of creatures brought the Martian invasion to a halt. If you want to know what that exactly is, just watch the movie. That point, at least, stayed in tact.

The rest of the book, however, was butchered. I know, the book is from the 19th century, and it was modernized, or whatever, but there were things that they just shouldn't have changed. The tripods were underground? That's just not right!

Final story. Segues are still overrated.

I went to the Blood Donor clinic today. I didn't say anything to anybody about it, because I wanted the option of chickening out. But I didn't. Sort of.

I walked through the doors. I sat in the chair. I answered the questions. I waited. I sat in the comfy chair. I got prepared for the needle.

While the preparation was happening, I must have come off as really nervous. Then a girl across the way from me fainted. And not like normal fainted, but like mutant fainted. She was writhing in her chair, as she came to. That threw me off a little. The nurse asked me if I wanted to wait until another day to give blood.

I said to keep going, but I must have been more nervous than I knew. The needle did go into my arm, and it did find a vein. Already better than last time. However, I think I convulsed. I tensed up. My face contorted, and before I could compose myself, the nurse took the needle out, and said something like "maybe next time." I defeatedly sat in my chair, and pushed the cotton against my punctured arm. As I sat there I became ashamed of my cotton wad, like a soldier who has just received the Medal of Honor, but in reality had spent the battle curled up in a ball at the bottom of his sleeping bag.

The nurse assured me that I had tried, and that by even coming to the clinic, I had done good. Also, she pointed out that it'll make the whole experience easier for next time.

Next time. I vow right now that I'll go back. By God, I will fill a bag with my own blood at least once in my life! I swear it here and now. I defy thee, Zeus! (Or whoever the God of blood-donation is.)

Anyways. That's been my exciting day. Revel in it's intensity. Stuff still isn't perfect at school, but I'm sure I'll re-adjust with time. I'm just becoming more aware, I guess, and trying to do with that what is possible.

Good times.

Good times ...

1 comment:

Jones said...

Some time later, I awoke in a stupor. All I could hear was the sound of Full House coming through the wall to my right. "Meagan must be watching her DVDs" I thought, angrily. "Why is she watching those [expletive deleted] [expletive deleted] DVDs at this [expletive deleted] late hour of the [expletive deleted] night?!"

That made me laugh, man. Bravo.