07 March 2007

The "300" Thoughts, and on Closeness

I just got home. A quick post, then I've got to type my next paper for Philosophy tomorrow.

300 comes out this weekend. I don't care who else I can convince, I'm going on Saturday. There was a promotion where 300 seconds of the movie were posted online. It looks highly stylized, but fantastic.

I read through some of the comments on YouTube and was (as often happens reading things on the internet) quite disturbed. One person made a comment on how amazing the historical event was. Somebody responded about not taking Greek Mythology as fact. Numbers were thrown, and claims were made.

My understanding is that 1500 Greeks (including 300 Spartans, the greatest warriors in the world at the time) stood up against a massive Persian army, fighting to the last man, and taking out between 20 000 and 40 000 invaders. The movie takes a lot of liberty, eliminating the 1200 "other" Greeks, and making the Persian army a million strong.

But nobody should take this as history! The style alone should let you know that this isn't a documentary! They have freaking trolls, guys! Are you stupid?

Anyways, all this comes on the heels of a decent day. I spent the majority of it in the Library with Dave and Steph. I read a lot, while they worked and passed notes.

Let me tell you, I look at Dave and Steph, and get pretty jealous. Not of either one of them in particular. Such great friends, and they seem so close. This could just be the outsider looking in, but I couldn't remember a relationship of my own that looked that ... good. There probably are a few, but it just got me to thinking about what's going on out here now.

Greg, my best friend out here, has been gone for a month and a half now. I've spent a lot of the time since his leaving, trying to find a new friend on that caliber. It just hasn't happened. It seems like everybody is comfortable in their groups at this time of year. I can chill with these people at lunch, but I don't think I've actually done anything with any university students since Greg has left. I've hung around with Meighan, and Mark here and there, but those times seem far and few between as it is. A few plans with other people have been made too, but nobody seems to want to act.

I have to admit. I feel very lonely sometimes. Then I think about what I do have, and it is good. I guess it's just me being greedy, wanting something like these intense friendships that I see. "Those took years to forge," I keep telling myself. "In year 3-4 of MUN, I'll have friendships like that."

It's hard to be patient sometimes, though. Especially when what you have doesn't look at all like what you've imagined, and it looks like your imaginings will never be realized in quite that way.

Patience was never my gift.

3 comments:

Jones said...

300. Oh. Yes. I am seeing this movie as soon as I can. Dave, Matt and I are planning on going. We might as well make it a date. I'll post on your blog when we decide a date.

Anonymous said...

If you come home, I'll be friends! =)
haha I better see you before I go out there in September!!!
(But then you'll have me and Scott! Lucky you!)

Josh said...

Woo! Adaaaaam!

And I'm definitely up for 300 with you folks, if you guys are going at a Josh-compatible time =P.