28 March 2007

Everybody's Free (To Write)

The past week has been spectacular.

On Friday, we had the very first SASF alumni night ever. It was pretty good. There have been more amazing things, but that's okay. Is it bad that I actually had a blast trying to distract my weeping two-year-old cousin from the absence of her mother? I wasn't very good at it, but hey! I need to make sure I'm around more often. Not just for Gabby, but because I've begun to miss my family here. I haven't seen enough of them, really. Kayla and Jillian, a lot of, I guess, since they're at the UC every other day, but everyone else ... not so much.

On days when it feels like suppertime, but is actually only two in the afternoon, I sometimes get the idea "Maybe I can go visit nan." It's really been hitting me how much I didn't/don't know. I had always imagined sitting down over 'tea' and discussing the olden days. I need to make sure not to put that off with my only remaining grandparent. I need to remember to call more often, too.

But yeah, skating was after the alumni night. Wasn't so bad. I need to remember skates for next year, but I did take a run around the rink. Fell twice, but I had a blast, actually.

Saturday was pretty dull. I woke up around noon, surfed the web, read for a few hours, then went to Tim Horton's with Meighan. I also wrote an impulsive email to a friend, concerning awkwardness that seemed to abound. Things appear to have cleared up. Stupid Josh, and his stupid ambiguity. I knew it all stemmed from my stellar lack of clarity!

Sunday was pretty cool too. It was Corps Cadet Sunday, a group that I have recently been associated with. I sat with my Aunt Glenda and Dayna, though, since I wasn't needed for the service. Afterwards we went to the Marshes for lunch. I had intended to get home early to go to Dayna's, and celebrate Aunt Glenda's four hundred and seventy fourth birthday, but couldn't get a ride. I walked to the SASF service at the temple (40 minute walk).

After the service, was SNAC with the Temple kids. That was wicked too. I spent a good amount of time talking to David, the first person to really listen to the full scope of my science-fictional imaginings. He encouraged me, and I've spent four hours in the last two days writing again. I think I might actually get somewhere this time.

Monday was cool. Things with the afforementioned friend went stellar, I got back a German quiz that I did decent on, I wrote some stuff, and then I had supper at the University. Shortly after five, however, I remembered that I was on to teach Corps Cadets. In a panic, I brainstormed with some people at the University Center, and decided that I would give the class three options for the night: Do a class out of the booklet, watch Veggie-Tales, or chat about whatever. They took Veggie-Tales. I had meant to discuss the video afterwards, but we ended up going overtime. Whoops!

Today was good, but I can't really get into it. Which is okay, because it was a dull good. I'm finally reading that Newfoundland Romance Novel: The Man from LaManche, and let me tell you, it's terrible. I'm enjoying it though. Is that a bad thing?

Don't judge me.

I think the rest of this week will be good. I'm out of clean clothes at the moment, but that'll be rectified in a day. I'm excited for the SASF closing, and a teleconference with the Haiti Mission Team, but since the times are conflicting as of right now, I'm not quite sure how those will actually go ...

Finally, I think I came to my most favorite realization ever this week: God is good.

For the longest time, I've passed that over as a very simple kiddie-phrase. God is Good: God has attributes that we call 'good.' Gotcha. So what? My shirt is red: my shirt has attributes that we call 'red.'

But it's not like that at all, see. I mean, it can be, but God is good.

God is the good, as Plato might have said.

It's difficult to communicate, so if you don't already understand, I'm really sorry I can't explain it to you. It's been the most fun little nugget to turn over in my mind lately, though.

Beddy byes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Mr. Beaver said in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when responding to the question from Lucy of whether is Aslyn, the lion, is safe"; "Safe?, Who said anything about safe? Of course he's not safe, but he's good".

Anonymous said...

You need to come home before Haiti!!!!!! 9 months (or more) of Josh absence is not a good thing.