05 December 2006

On the Attack

So.

I was talking to my friend about a sermon I had heard recently. Exciting I know, but I mentioned one of the quips the speaker let out. He said something along the lines of "I don't want to go on another Retreat. I want to go on the attack for once."

That really hit me, since it's something I've been thinking about. What it means to be on the attack in the Salvation Army. The popular belief seems to be that we're on the attack every day, just by going out into the world, and living good lives. Smiling at people, holding doors, and when the situation calls very clearly for it: speaking of God.

Sure. Why not. It's St. Francis of Assisi. "Preach the gospel always, and if necessary, use words."

But is that far enough? If I had to classify that in a military way, that would be holding the lines. We're possibly influencing somebody's day, making the world a little brighter, but it's not enough.

An attack, as far as I'm concerned, is getting out there. You work hard when you're on the attack. You're in the line of fire. You're out past the front line, you're in No Man's Land.

The Salvation Army isn't on the attack anymore. As an organization, the battle duties have been delegated to Officers, and hired staff. It's become the Salvation Reserves.

What can we do to fix that? Maybe we should all ditch the country club. Maybe we should burn down our churches. Who knows? If we've got nowhere to be comfortable in, then we might actually do some of the Lord's work.

Community service should be mandatory for Soldiers in the Salvation Army. You can't join the Canadian Forces and expect not to do your duty. Then how is it one can be a Soldier in the Salvation Army, and not be on the front lines?

NOTE: I'm just as guilty as the next Soldier. Just trying to figure this out.

No comments: