05 November 2006

MSN Time Capsule

I just went through a dozen or so long conversations that I have archived on MSN. It's incredible the way things have changed. University was going to solve all my problems, relationships could only get stronger. My life was going to be a picture-perfect film. If you had challenged me on it back then, I'd have acknowledged that it wouldn't be movie-like, but I still didn't expect life to be like this.

I went to a movie with Steph A last night. We saw Man of the Year. Excellent movie, and a great time. We waisted three hours wandering the mall, going to HMV, sitting in The Second Cup, and chatting.

I cannot believe how much I love to talk. To hear. To tell. It's so great. You get to understand people a bit more, even if it's just in a superficial way. I wonder the value, but then realize that the value isn't as important as the fact that I had a great time, talking about virtually nothing.

A friend of mine was talking to me on MSN the other day. About University and his life. He was joking about how little he got out as a University student. I said he should get out more, socialize a bit. He told me that when he was done his education, he'd have the time and means to party.

But will he know how? All of his friends will be party veterans, and he'll be the rookie. It won't even be the same thing.

Why aren't we more careless people? People quote the phrase "Live each moment like it'll be your last," but never do it. I'm not saying we should forget the future, but we need to have a good time now. Einstein said something about how the American man is to focused on the future, too concerned with where he will be, than where he is.

He also said "A happy man is too satisfied with the present to dwell too much on the future." How much of the present must we barter off for a great tomorrow that might never come? And if it does come, and it's not as great as it could be ... then how much does that matter anyways?

I'm winding down now, I swear: The problem with people today is ... well, first and foremost, the belief that we don't need God. Second, though, is this consumerist society. What are most of our goals? Nice house, nice car, good job. Yeah, children factor in, and a wife, perhaps, but we can deconstruct that down to biology, if we really wanted to. I don't know what I'm saying, to be honest. This is just a tangent I sort of got launched off on.

This is also my 300th post across all the blogs I've had in the past years.

They make less sense today than they did when I started blogging.

No comments: