20 November 2006

Last 1710 Lab Ever

I'm sitting now, in the Computer Science lab. This is the final lab for the term, and hence, my last ever. [EDIT: I made a mistake, I've got one left after today]

Yay, right? I've got one CS assignment left too, once that's done, I only really need to worry about the exam. Well, worry insofar as remembering that I've got to show up. Despite hating this course so much, and being a bit slow to catch on to the concepts, I've been doing very well. I just got my lowest quiz mark back today: 83%. How can I be worried?

I've been thinking about taking a year off of University. When I tell people this, they automatically assume I'd go home, and work for the year. I really don't know if that's what I'd do. I've been looking at the ignite program in Toronto, as well as just going somewhere on a missions trip for a year.

It probably will never happen, though I was so ready to go yesterday. Maybe I'll just go to a new University next year, with a Theology program. I'm interested in doing Philosophy at MUN, but honestly, why? I'll tell you why: It's because I don't want to leave home. I'd find it interesting, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'd do with a Philosophy degree: get a new degree.

Aargh, and when I read over these posts, I can't help but imagine that whining, immature child that I am, stressing out over things that shouldn't worry me right now.

But honestly, when the world wars were going on, plenty of "kids" enlisted for an adventure. Well there's a bigger, more important war going on, and as a soldier of the Salvation Army, I feel like I should be in the trench, rather than back at camp playing cards and getting useless degrees.

And then people argue that with the degree I'll be able to farther the reach of the kingdom.

I dunno, I just need to pick a direction. Jonah did that at least. He started to run away from where God wanted him. I don't want to run away, I just want to run period. Perhaps God'll send a fish to swallow me, and spit me up at my Ninevah?

I'd prefer a boat, but at least I wouldn't be able to wonder "Hmm, if this fish is spitting me up in St. John's harbour, maybe God is trying to tell me something ..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...and as a soldier of the Salvation Army, I feel like I should be in the trench, rather than back at camp playing cards and getting useless degrees."

Ok, it's this kind of talk that really, really urks me.

Why do you need to go on a missions trip or to Ignite to be "in the trench"? Not saying that those aren't noble ambitions, because they are. But if you feel like you need to go away to do God's work then you are seriously mistaken.

God needs people to do his work everywhere. Doing his work doesn't mean downtown ministries, it doesn't mean handing out pamphlets. Doing God's work means living and loving every single day of your life. It means remembering little things about your friends and doing a small thing that will brighten their day. It means picking up papers when someone drops them. It means smiling at the person at the table across from you, just because they looked at you. I means talking to people, listening to their concerns, not voicing yours. It means being selfless. It means thinking of others' needs before yourself.

That's how you do God's work. You don't need to go to Istanbul to make a difference...you just need to show people how much you love Jesus, and how much he loves them through you.

Josh said...

I like to believe I'm on a mission, doing God's work every day I roll out of bed.

My whole point here, is that there is a bigger difference I can make, a bigger difference I want to make. We can all minister in cubicles or jungles, and it means the same thing. However, the Salvation Army is saved to SERVE as well. I just don't feel like there's too much service going on where I am.

If you're content not to do downtown ministries, or hand out pamphlets, that's fine. Perhaps that's where God's called you to be. The thing I've been thinking about for the past century, is that there isn't enough service going on. That's something I want to change.

And missions would be just as much education for me, than service. A broadening of horizons. That's more useful than a Degree I already know I won't use.

This would also have made a better email.