09 November 2006

Anybody Out There?

I think that me waiting for buses, with an iPod, and fresh air, should be outlawed. My brain turns too much, and still comes up with nothing useful.

I was thinking about how much I have to live up to. How much we ALL have to live up to. A friend of mine once told me that we have an awesome responsibility, to minister to those around us. True, but we also must do something even greater: We must live the worth of twenty lives.

The cost of one year of University here, for me, is the cost of sponsoring 20-24 children through the Salvation Army. I get a slightly above-average (for Canada) education, for the cost of twenty way above-average educations in Africa. Is that fair? That means that when I grow up, I must change more than twenty lives. Heck, why start then?

My whole life must be an investment.

I was also thinking about how sometimes I feel very alone in my convictions. Perhaps it's just because I'm nuts, but then the song "Anybody Out There?" by Burlap to Cashmere came on. I just don't know anymore. Is there anybody for me? Not even like, a future life-partner, but a community of hardcore change-the-world people.

Then again, how "change-the-world" am I? All I've been doing all week is talking about becoming a janitor in Jerusalem, or a street vendor in Moscow. Might widen my worldview, but not much more, I suspect.

Anyways, some of the "Anybody Out There?" lyrics:

Sometimes while I'm driving
Trying to find my song
Looking for the answers
And where I do belong
Finally the children are
Bringin' me back home

Ooooooooh Ooooooooh Ooooooooh
Is there anybody out there
Does anybody care
Are the people really there
Ooooooooh Ooooooooh Ooooooooh
Is there anybody seeking
Does anybody see
Or are they deaf and dumb like me

No comments: