16 January 2007

Small Philosophy

I just did a round on Sally Bloggers (I just updated my profile on it, since it was still pointing to my MSN space!) and saw "Carlos Online." It mentioned philosophy in the description, so I checked it out.

On it was a document called "Nano-Philosophy" and here's a bit of it. I can't link to it, so if you want to check it out, go to Carlos Online.

=====

The 21st Century promises to be the age of the very small. Silicon chips, ever shrinking, crammed with ever more information! Data storage on things smaller still than the tiniest known chip, soon down to the atomic and subatomic level!

...

In an effort to bring philosophy on board, members of University of Waterloo's Department of Philosophy began the search for very, very small philosophical questions. ... Since then, a whole team of dedicated researchers have contributed their suggestions. Here is the list so far:

Metaphysics
- What is the sound of two hands clapping?
- Is there something rather than nothing?
...
- Which came first, the chicken or the omelette?

Theology
...
- Is there life after birth?
- Can the existence of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God be reconciled with the existence of Elvis? (This is the Problem of Elvis.)

Philosophy of Mind and Language
- Can a Chinese man in a room understand Chinese symbols?
- If a human could speak, could we understand it?
- Is there a relationship between language and talk?
...
- If a mad scientist replaced my original brain with a silicon brain, would my shoes still fit?

Ethics
- Is it permissible to harm none to save five?
...
- Do two wrongs ever make more than one wrong?
- Does 'human existence' have any meaning?
...

Philosophy of Science
...
- Is classical mechanics consistent with Newton's laws?

...

Epistemology
...
- How would things look if the Earth rotated on it's axis?


=====

I found some of those pretty funny. Maybe it's just a strange sense of humor.

Do you have any contributions to the list?

EDIT: Also just saw this. Pretty cool, hey? I wish I could just plant my broken iPod!

No comments: