31 January 2007

Missing Philosophy and Nan

I'm sitting here right now in the University Center.

My Philosophy class started five minutes ago.

You have no idea how painful it is to sit here and just watch the time tick by.

Why am I not in Philosophy class? Good question. It's one part embarrassment at not having last Friday's notes. A classmate asked if I could bring them in for her to copy, but I haven't been home since noon yesterday and I had forgotten to take them then.

Oh yeah ... noon yesterday.

I got a call from my aunt Gail right as I was preparing to get up for the day. The message: "Nan's calling the family together."

Let me tell you ... I hadn't even left the house yet and I probably cried more than the rest of the family combined for the whole day. I am the woman.

So yeah, Nan is still with us for the time being. Yesterday a few times she said something to the effect of "I want to go home," which didn't happen. My fear was that she was just buying time until dad and aunt Marley arrived. Well they're here now, and I can't help but wonder if she's going to let herself go.

Not that she shouldn't, or rather, it's not that she doesn't deserve to end all her pain.

If there are eight billion people on the earth right now, I can think of seven billion, nine hundred and ninety nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine people who deserve what Nan has gone through more than she does. And I'm not just saying this about my Nan, because I didn't get to know her, or spend nearly as much time with her as I wanted, but she is honestly the most beautiful person on planet Earth.

She's the kind of person I've wanted to show off to people. In some stupid way, I had hoped she would last long enough to meet whoever my future wife will turn out to be. Or even to introduce her to every last one of my friends.

That doesn't look like it'll happen though. Unless I get engaged, or all my friends randomly move to St. John's in the next day or so.

Also, thanks for the macaroni and cheese Meagan. We have a huge and hungry family, so the size was quite appropriate.

EDIT: I guess I'll tack this on here too. Like somebody said, it sounds too conspiracy theory-ish, but if it's true ... holy crap guys.

1 comment:

~m said...

i don't know you, or your nan . . . but that was beautiful. thank you for sharing it.