03 January 2007

Return to Town

If you had told me in July that in December I would dread the return to St. John's, I'd have laughed in your face. A nice bit has changed for me in Corner Brook, and more is going to change over the next while too.

I talked with my counselor about searching for a rewind button a while back. A desire to return to the familiar, because the new wasn't working out so well. There's still a nagging feeling, a want for a rewind button, but I'm really getting to understand that moving home isn't as close to a "rewind" as I had hoped.

Hanging out with some people here has been uncomfortable. For some it's because I never liked them much anyways. For other's it's because I once liked them so much more. Still others, because I wish I had spent more time with them in the past.

If somebody had told me so much would change in so little time while I was in High School, I again, would have laughed in their face.

I'm not laughing now.

Sometimes in a Video Game, if I'm stuck behind some cover, and I know there's no way back, instead of waging a cautious firefight, I'll run out from cover, guns blazing, and grenades flying. Blindly rushing forward, making decisions on the fly. Running for the next bit of cover, or to find a new escape. If I'm lucky, I might stumble into a way to complete my objective during my blind charge.

An uncomfortable majority of the time, I end up dead, but that's what I'm feeling like right now ... like a cornered animal. The only possible way out is to rush forward blindly, and the odds are quite against.

I'm quite aware of how overly-dramatic a turn my blog has taken recently, and as much as I hate drama queen-ism, I'm not sure how to exercise this from me. Tomorrow I'll be able to walk to my Tim Horton's again, and think it all through.

I'm also considering buying a typewriter.

1 comment:

Tammy Williams said...

A typewriter? For what reason? I suppose it will take you back to the semi-preindustrial age but I am very thankful for computers.

Change is not always easy. I did one year at MUN and then moved across the country - away from family - because I thought I would FIND myself. Well, it took a good 8 years after that to find myself and sometimes I feel as though I am still looking :) We will never know what the future holds, and we do not have to rush out and find it. Look at what you are passionate about, not what others tell you to do, and you will find your calling.

Blessings in this new year!