02 October 2006

Return Fire

EDIT1: please do note that I retract my statement concerning the ratio of male-to-female sex offenders. I do NOT retract the idea that the ratio is more even than statistics will have us belive. However, I fully acknowledge that an overwhelming majority of these offenders are male. (Something I had always aknowledged, but had no ratio to attach to the concept. This retraction concerns only the hypothetical ratio of male-to-female offenders, and NOT the concept that the statistics are in error.)

This is a frustration post, in 'retaliation' to the post made about my comment on Sarah's Blog.

I'm going to lay this out in simple sentances, so I don't get accused of saying more things.

Men are prideful beings. Were I raped, I would probably have great difficulty reporting it. Society doesn't expect men to be raped, so men would arguably feel a greater sense of shame and embarassment, especially if they were violated by a woman.

So here comes the clarification:

You say males account for 99% of rapists. I say that 99% of convicted rapists are male.

You say men are driven majorly by different impulses than women. I agree.

You seem to say women are the models of a modern society. I say that coming out of the women's rights movement, and sexual revolution, society is much quicker to gloss over female issues, and point a stabbing finger at men.

You say many women don't feel safe walking alone down streets at night. I say many people don't feel safe. You say that it's not other women making them feel threatened. Again, I say that the majority of these "unsafe" people are men.

Society is made up of people. Roughly divided half and half, between two convinient genders. It frustrates me when we divide society into genders, while talking about issues with society. If we're going to divide things up, let's go whole hog with it. After dashing through the women's rights movement, and a big sexual revolution, some of women are still confused. In "liberating" themselves sexually, they enslave men to their impulses. In condemning men, they open themselves to attack.

Ugh, there is no way I can properly explain where I'm going with this. I'm not saying men are blameless. Far from it. I'm not saying women are at fault. What I'm saying is that the blame lies somewhere in the middle. Whether it's skewed towards the men, or women, is no something I'm equipped to discuss.

If you don't agree, you can stop discussing it with me. Don't argue with me about it. Get out there and show the rapists you're so afraid of love. Get out there and remember not to be so insensitive when discussing these issues.

Do that, and I'll remember to keep treating you like a human being.

Mmm, being misunderstood, and then attacked on that basis. Not yummy.

2 comments:

Robyn McHugh said...

Let.
It.
Go.
For goodness' sake Josh.

Josh said...

I'm sorry, I don't personally enjoy being misunderstood, and then dropping the issue. Because then people get confused as to where I stand.

And then next time an important conversation comes up, people still haven't been righted from the confusion of LAST discussion.

The confusion compounds, and I turn into a Nazi.

If you don't like it. Don't read it, and don't comment.