26 October 2006

Joyeux Noël

So, two weeks ago, I blogged on a movie called "Live and Become," that the MUN Cinema Series put on. I also expressed excitement at another movie that they were putting off, called "Joyeux Noël."

I don't know which movie was better. The trailer makes it look different than it really is, but watch it. Better yet, go pre-order it right now.

Absolutely incredible movie.

I can't even get into it. I cried a few times.

Okay, I'll get into it a little tiny bit.

If you don't know your history, the Christmas Truce happened in a few places along the trenches on Christmas Eve of 1914, during the first world war. Leaders of groups on both sides of the war, declared a cease-fire for Christmas. (Important: the armies didn't declare a cease-fire, it was basically just lower ranked people in the trenches, who decided to screw orders for a night, and stop shooting) Christmas came and went, and several days later, nobody was shooting. The higher-ups on both sides of the war had to shake up the lines, and start threatening and forcing people to fight again, because these people couldn't shoot at the people they drank and sang carols with.

The movie:

I know for a fact, due to a High-school education, that the trenches were much, much worse than depicted in the film. Also, some of the character's actions were a bit unrealistic. Also, I think the trenches were filled with somewhat less happiness. It almost seemed like a comedy in a lot of places.

But that was actually really effective in emphasizing the whole climax of the movie.

I can't even get into it. One of my favorite scenes from the movie is in the trailer. It's a day or two after Christmas, and the German leader approaches the French trench, and informs them that German Artillery is going to start firing in ten minutes, and tells them to take shelter in his trench. The shelling stops, and the Irish and French point out that their artillery will probably retaliate soon. They walk across the battlefield and wait it out in the other trench then. It was hilarious in some ways, but incredibly moving too.

I can't even get into it (that's the third time I've said that!). It's just such a superb movie. Honestly, get it. Wal*Mart won't carry it, and you won't find it at HMV. It's going to have to be ordered, because it's a small foreign film. But it's one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen.

Also, small note: the people actually speak their real languages. French soldiers speak French, Germans speak German, and the Irish have this incredible accent. Anything you can't understand is subtitled, which people generally hate, when I mention it. Seriously though: subtitles or not, find a way to watch this movie.

No comments: