13 October 2006

MUN Cinema Series

So. I've found a new thursday night activity.

Yesterday I ran into dave, and I suggested we go get a coffee after supper or something. He suggested going to a movie: Trailer Park Boys. I agreed, for I wanted something to do.

Several moments later, he returned to my desk in the Commons, and put forward a new idea. The MUN Cinema Society plays crazy movies on Thursday night. We decided we'd meet at the mall at 6:30, and catch the 7:00 movie for this week Live and Become.

I was late for the rendevous, and I don't know what happened to Dave, because I never saw him again (well, yesterday at least) but I went to the movie anyways.

From the MUN Cinema Series website:

" The title sounds as if it could have come from the marketing gang at MUN, but this made-in-France masterpiece is as far from commercial branding exercises as they come. This is a moving coming of age story about Schlomo, an orphaned Ethiopian boy who passes for a Falasha Jew during the exodus of 1985. Arriving in Israel, Schlomo is adopted by some well meaning hipsters, but his development hinges on so many uncertainties that his identity remains confused and unarticulated. The film follows him through his quest to know his past and the truth of who he is and is destined to be. Growing up Black and passing for Jewish in Israel is bound to be challenging. Schlomo's story is both entirely credible and shrewdly allegorical, set as it is against the backdrop of a fiercely politicized culture, where issues of race and belonging are crucial to daily life. To be sure, the film is intellectually challenging and laced with deep irony. Award-winning in at least two countries and profoundly probing, LIVE AND BECOME requires your undivided attention."


May I just say that it is quite possibly one of the best movies I've ever seen? Like, I won't say it was THE best, for fear of contradicting myself, but it is most definitely in the top ten. A look at the future schedule for the Cinema society makes me smile even more.

Merry Christmas (Joyeux Noel) is playing on October 26th. I really want to go to that one, and somebody should go with me this time. From the MUN Cinema Society website:

It's a miracle no one had made a movie based on this factual slice of history before, but JOYEUX NOEL has long been a film waiting to happen. Based on the Christmas truce of 1914, the film marks one of the strangest recesses in the history of all wars. When French, Scottish, and, yes, German soldiers, felt compelled to stop fighting and play nice they actually did -- that is they laid down their arms, buried their dead, and had a rousing game of football, right there in the muddy space between the trenches. Nominated for a foreign film Oscar this year, JOYEUX NOEL shows us both the bloody prelude to that extraordinary pause and the punishing consequences. For stopping to fight, many were blamed and persecuted. In the catch-22 of war, sharing music and joy with your enemy is an act of treason. In this, the 90th anniversary of the battle of Beaumont Hamel, JOYEUX NOEL is a sobering, excellently crafted tribute to humanity and its threats. This release might find you shopping for the holidays with a new attitude.


Who's excited?

No comments: