06 April 2007

Perspective

I enjoy searching for perspective. It makes me realize how huge reality really is. As I eat, I wonder what somebody in Japan might be doing. I take a shower and wonder how many Germans are coughing at that exact moment. I lay down to sleep and contemplate what somebody in India is going to do.

And then I look at history. The 'This Day In History' columns, and wonder if exactly fifty seven years ago somebody had wondered about somebody else wondering fifty seven years before him. I wonder who stood where I'm standing five years before. I wonder what news somebody could have been hearing a thousand years prior.

One thousand nine hundred and seventy seven years ago at this moment, a Rabbi prayed in a garden called Gethsemane. What blades of grass caught his tears? Who smelled the flowers that had smelled him? Could one of those flowers have become a gift to somebody not involved in the drama? Did they become involved later? Did their descendants know about that flower from Gethsemane? More importantly, did they ever hear about what happened in Gethsemane one thousand nine hundred and seventy seven years before this moment?

Holy crap guys.

Reality is huge.

EDIT: It has been pointed out that easter might not have occurred exactly 1977 from today. I overlooked the fact that Easter has to do with the lunar calendar, so it might not be an exact 1977 solar years. But you get the point.

It has gotten me wondering if anybody has tried to find the exact solar date of the first Easter. It'd kind of be neat to know.

No comments: