26 February 2007

Victory

Today was a day of victory.

I just thought I'd put that out there.

During the YFM retreat, we watched a bit of a Christian movie, I forget the title of. It was fairly cheesy, but my favorite scene was where a football player was told to do the "Death Crawl" (crawling with your knees off the ground and a person on your back) for 50 meters, blindfolded. All anybody had done previously, was 20 meters. All during the crawl, the coach was leaning down and saying "Just a bit further! Keep going! Don't give up now! You're almost there!"

When the boy finally collapsed, he was in the other end-zone. The coach had ignored the 50 yard line, and ended up having the guy crawl the whole length of the field.

"God doesn't expect us to do everything. Just the next thing."

In other news, I've got to admit, I'm feeling a bit unwelcome at a new forum I've been going to for the past week. I started a discussion on Evolution vs. Creationism, simply asking why people believed what they did, not demanding explanations or whatever. In the end, I told how the jury is still out for me.

I got 3 personal messages, one giving me a quick lesson in Hebrew, for understanding the context of the Genesis story. Another one was telling me about the problems in the scientific community surrounding creationism. My favorite one, however, came from a Girl who didn't sound like she really cared why I believed what I believed. The last thing in her message was pretty much telling me that the reason that no creationist had 'swayed' me is because I have issues with faith and my belief in scripture. I'd rather believe science, which is grounded in fact.

I was astounded. So I have to choose faith blindly, over fact? Call me a doubting Thompson (hah!), but if it comes down to blind acceptance vs. proof, I'm going with proof every time. I don't think she understands the fact that Faith and Fact aren't mutually exclusive.

Too bad.

A post on the YFM retreat will hopefully come in the next day or two. I've got some sleeping to do right now.

No comments: