26 February 2007

In Hoc Signo Vinces

I re-opened my Josephus: The Essential Works book there on Friday and read another chapter in it. I don't know why I ever stopped.

While opening it, I passed by the signature by the author, who gave a seminar in Corner Brook last year. The ink reads:

"Greetings in ☧!
Paul L. Maier"

That symbol, how had I forgotten it? So neat. Today I was sort of just drawing them here and there. For those who don't know, it's referred to as the "Labarum" or "Chi Ro," and it's the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ (ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ-Christos) superimposed on each other. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

Anyways, the whole thing was sort of a key part to Constantine's conversion. Apparently before a major battle during his campaign to reunite the Roman Empire, the symbol appeared before Constantine near the sun. In a dream that night, he was told by God "In this sign, conquer," often translated to the Latin "In Hoc Signo Vinces."

Before the battle, the new symbol was instituted as the army's standard, being drawn on shields and banners. The battle was won, and tradition dictates that Constantine converted to Christianity shortly after.

After reading some things about the conversion, I can see that the record isn't in unanimous agreement about Constantine's conversion, and the legitimacy of the symbol. However, it is a nice story at the very least, and a pretty cool symbol.

I think I'll adopt it as my standard. "In Hoc Signo Vinces"

No comments: