14 October 2007

Confidence and Consequence

Google tells me that the title of this post is also an album by a band "Too Pure to Die." Completely coincidental, I assure you.

So I think about something. I talk about it, and I reach a conclusion. I'm confident in most of my conclusions, because they receive a trial by fire before I accept them. That's just how I work.

That doesn't mean convictions don't come without consequences. I So Hate Consequences. Different from the song, it is, but I just wanted to link something.

Looks like this is going to be an interesting week with meeting with a few ... gurus ... and talking about future plans, what's going on now, leadership, and other related things. Shepard Book, from Firefly, when asked why he didn't care where he was going, replied "'Cause how you get there is the worthier part."

Some times I just wish I'd arrive. I don't care how important the journey is. I don't care that it forces you to grow. I honestly believe that looking back at myself in the past year, I've grown a lot. A year ago, I would have been angered b y someone calling themselves an adult. "That's a distinction you don't get to make!" I'd cry.

Well I'm laying my claim to adulthood now. I know there's a ways to go before I'm the man I'm supposed to be. Nevertheless, I am an adult. And most of the time I'm treated like one. So I might as well admit it.

But alas, I digress. I'm confident that I'm an adult. I'm confident that my spiritual walk right now is better than it's been in a long time. I'm confident that admitting my weaknesses, and insecurities, and asking for help is the most adult thing I will ever do. And I'm confident that I don't have to agree with people just because they don't understand how I can disagree with such perfect logic.

And I'm confident that this confidence won't last long enough for me to do something with it. Unfortunate.

(Why do I always have to end off on such a pessimistic note? I want my optimism back.)

1 comment:

Dave said...

To be able to look inside one's self and give an honest evaluation shows an remarkable sense of Christian maturity. I'd say you're well on your way, my friend!